September 17, 2014
- 9:00 am - 10:15 amYesterday All My Troubles Seemed So Far Away: What's going on at the Commission that impacts your life…todayThe latest Commission activity in rules, opinions and fines, as well as an update on the new TEC software system.
From the new campaign reporting software scheduled to be implemented the first of the year to the impact of court decisions on regular PAC activities, it's been a busy year for the Texas Ethics Commission. The overview will include a review of complaints and resolutions on Title 15 actions as well as a discussion of the ethical implications facing practitioners as you give advice to your employer and clients.Jack Gullahorn President and General Counsel, Professional Advocacy Association of TexasNatalia Luna Ashley Texas Ethics CommissionErik Dietz Project Manager, RFD & Associates, Inc.Jessie Hoag Director of Computer Services, Texas Ethics Commission
- 10:20 am - 10:40 amWhat a Wonderful World: To disclose or not to disclose, that is the questionTexas Ethics Commission Chairman Jim Clancy will share his thoughts on the importance of the issues surrounding the recently proposed "dark money" rules and court decisions on the ethical environment for all of us, as well as the Commission's efforts to increase enforcement and compliance.Jim Clancy Chairman, Texas Ethics Commission
- 10:45 am - 11:45 amImagine All the People Living Life in Peace: Texas PACs and Corporate/Association Political Involvement 3.0Citizens United and Independent Expenditures
If you stay awake at night wondering about the difference between "a principal purpose" and "the principal purpose" and why the wrong answer may be a job killer, this panel is for you. The latest updates on current Commission status of the pending "Empower Texans" complaint and the broader questions it raises as well as a discussion from the experts on what's ahead for the law in Texas will be a part of this primer on how to avoid trouble.Ed Shack Attorney at LawTim Sorrells Attorney, Tuggey Calvoz LLP
- 12:00 pm - 1:00 pmI Walk the Line: Why can’t we figure this stuff out?Review of key PAC and campaign related administrative and compliance issues that keep us all up at night.
Predictability and certainty are not words used in discussions about campaign finance and reporting in our world. This panel will explore the most common areas of complaints, problems, and questions faced by those active in the complex world of political and campaign activity, with advice on reporting, local measure elections and connected PAC activity.Natalia Luna Ashley Executive Director, Texas Ethics CommissionAndrew Cates Associate Counsel, Texas Association of RealtorsRoss Fischer Attorney, Denton Navarro Rocha Bernal Hyde & Zech, P.C.Gardner Pate Attorney, Locke Lord LLP
- 1:05 pm - 1:55 pmTomorrow, Tomorrow: The quickly changing world of PAC and campaign technologyThe blitzkrieg speed of the advance of technology creates both possibilities and obstacles for the average candidate and PAC, as targeting for fundraising and campaign messaging becomes increasingly more specialized. Whats coming? How can you plan for it?